Konjac Sponges are all the rage right now. As I’ve experienced an increase in acne since moving to a different climate, I’ve also experienced an interest in new products and beauty tools to help get it under control. I’ve read in a few different places that Konjac Sponges have been known to help with acne, and I’ve seen them in more than a few magazines as of late. So when I got the opportunity to test and review these two sponges I was VERY excited!
pureSOL Konjac Sponges have been known to have the following benefits according to their Amazon product pages:
- IMPROVES SKIN TEXTURE: pureSOL Konjac Facial Sponge gently exfoliates while deep cleansing and removing any toxins and impurities, leaving you with a radiant complexion. It is extremely soft and gentle for everyday skin care. Great for all skin types.
- BRIGHTER LOOKING SKIN: The natural woven fibers of the sponge gently massage the skin and stimulate blood flow. It detoxifies and encourages skin renewal while balancing the skins pH, leaving your skin extremely clean and refreshed!
- PREVENTS SPOTS, BLACKHEADS AND BREAKOUTS: The added BAMBOO CHARCOAL contains activated carbon and essential minerals to deeply cleanse and absorb excess sebum, toxins and other harmful chemicals from your skin. You will see your pores getting smaller, tightening and brightening your skin.
- 100% NATURAL AND ECO-FRIENDLY: Why compromise your health with products that contain harsh chemicals and additives on your skin? pureSOL Konjac Sponge is completely natural, eco-friendly and free of parabens, sulphates & chemicals. It is biodegrade, cruelty free and vegan. After use, you can compost the sponge and feel good about the environment! You can even add it to your flower pot! At pureSOL our packaging is 90% compostable
- EASY-TO- HANG SUCTION HOOK: A must have for you konjac sponge! Perfect for hanging in a well-ventilated space so it’s dry and ready for you to use the following day. No more searching for something to hang your pureSOL Konjac Sponge on!
I’m particularly fond of their acne-fighting abilities, as well as their eco-friendly characteristics. Here are some highlights of my experiences with these two products.
The pureSOL Konjac Facial Sponge with added Bamboo Charcoal
First impressions: They live up to their claims of compostable packaging. The writing is to the point, which I always appreciate, and the paper packaging has a recyclable look and feel (in a good way). This particula Konjac sponge is a very dark grey, because of the bamboo charcoal, and when it is removed from the plastic wrapping (the part of the package that is not compostable) the sponge is hard to the touch. I followed the directions and soaked it in water until it became soft and sponge like. As an added bonus, it comes with a cute little suction cup and an attached string which makes for easy drying and storage between uses.
First use: As a Konjac Sponge newbie, I consulted with some veterans in one of the make up groups that I am a part of on Facebook. They suggested that since this sponge has the added benefits of Bamboo Charcoal, that I should cleanse first, and then use the sponge on my already clean face. The advice that pureSOL provides makes a number of suggestions about how to use the sponge, but everyone’s opinion of best way seems to be on a person by person basis. So, after reading quite a bit I decided to use my usual cleanser and make up remover first to get off all of the oil and make up. Then I used the Bamboo Charcoal sponge with some warm water and used it in a circular motion on my face.
Results: I love love love how my face feels after using this sponge. I’ve decided that I’ll keep this one on it’s little hook in he shower so that I can exfoliate every day. I usually find that products which are meant to exfoliate are actually pretty harsh and leave my face feeling a bit raw and abused. This is NOT the case with these Konjac Sponges. It gently exfoliates and massages without making you feel like you just rubbed sandpaper on yourself.
The pureSOL Konjac Facial Sponge Original
First impressions: This sponge is packaged just like the Bamboo Charcoal, except this sponge is white. Also like the Bamboo Charcoal sponge, it comes with the hook and string for ease of use.
First use: Because this sponge does not have anything added (like the Bamboo Charcoal), the consensus among my make up buddies is that it can be used with a cleanser or cleansing oil. So, I used my favorite cleansing oil. I applied the oil to my dry face as usual, and then used the wet sponge to gently exfoliate which sort of emulsified the oil. I also used the sponge to remove the cleansing oil. I just completely soaked it with water and wiped a few times until there was no residual residue. Then, just because I really like the feeling, I got the sponge wet again and rubbed again in circular motions.
Results: Just like with the Bamboo Charcoal sponge, my face feels amazing after use. I really love the feeling of the sponge on my face. It rinses very easily, and thanks to the handy hook, it dries a bit between uses and is always within reach. I particularly enjoy the hook because I don’t have to set it anywhere that it could potentially get dirty… it’s nice and safe hanging on the mirror.
Some pointers provided by the folks at pureSOL:
How to Use
- When you receive the sponge it will be hard and dry like a loofah. You first need to soak the sponge for several minutes until it is fully soft. Please never try to use your sponge when it is hard.
- Gently massage your face with or without your favorite cleanser. Should you choose to use a cleanser, apply only a fraction of your usual amount, as the sponge will generate more bubbles!
- After use, rinse your Konjac Sponge and press it gently with two hands. Never wring the sponge as it will damage the fibers and won’t last as long!
- Hang your pureSOL Konjac Sponge on the enclosed hook in a well-ventalated space. We recommend to replace your Konjac Sponge every 2-3 months or when it starts to break down. Your sponge may dry out between uses, it’s ok! All you need to do is soak the sponge again!
Tips & Tricks
- If you live in a hot and humid climate we recommend storing your Konjac Sponge in the refrigerator in sealed container to extend the life. Please remember Konjac is a vegetable fiber and the sponge is completely natural with no preservatives or chemicals!
- You can sterilize you sponge every few weeks by boiling it in water or putting it in a bowl of water in the microwave for a minute.
- Your Konjac Sponge is biodegradable and can be composted after use! You can alway feel good about using your pureSOL Konjac Sponge!
How to purchase
If you are interested in purchasing either sponge, just click the pictures below to be taken to their Amazon product pages.
I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.